We wanted to share some information that was received from CenterPoint Energy. All of the Villages met with CenterPoint to discuss our Hurricane Preparedness. Power loss and trees provided our biggest challenge after Hurricane Ike. We have all worked to learn, improve, and be prepared should we have another experience in the future.
About CenterPoint Energy & Emergency Preparation:
- CenterPoint Energy is responsible for restoring service - regardless from which company provides your electricity.
- CenterPoint is the only company that can restore service during power outages; trained crews will work day and night to get power restored.
- Preparation is underway for outages before they happen by investing in technology to more quickly and accurately pinpoint problems.
Pre-storm - Electric service tips:
- Unplug sensitive electrical appliances, such as computers and TVs.
- If you expect flooding, turn off electricity at the circuit breaker.
- If someone depends on electricity for life-sustaining equipment, make alternative arrangements for them in advance.
Pre-storm - Natural gas service tips:
- Do NOT turn off natural gas at the meter. Proper pressure in home/business gas piping must be maintained to prevent water from entering the lines if flooding occurs.
- If you choose to discontinue natural gas service - turn off gas at each appliance.
Post Storm: In the event of a severe weather emergency such as a hurricane, CenterPoint Energy will use their Outage Tracker, Twitter and Facebook to communicate:
Other helpful information is available below and on the City's Website under "CenterPoint Energy Emergency Operations Plan"
Sign Up for Power Outage Alerts: http://www.centerpointenergy.com/cehe/outage/alerts/
Phone Number for Gas Customer Service: 713-659-2111
Phone Number for Electricity Customer Service: 713-207-2222
Right Tree Right Place Program: www.CenterPointEnergy.com/trees